Thursday, September 20, 2007

1984 - 1994

Spinning an idle yarn

Rolling green grass
like a great piled carpet
littered litter-ally with
lint like lambs in
dispersing magnetic flocks
as ewe and I and I
and you and him and
her, all questing to
be monarch of a mountain.

Donnegal, Ireland




Sucky poem about night trains

In the station called Austerlitz
I boarded the overnight train
went straight south from Paris
right to Madrid, Spain
the rails were ringing
all through the night
seven others plus me
in a compartment crammed tight
the time passed so slow,
stale Orangina and BO,
it's been three nights since and
I'm set to do it again
now Alicante on
the Mediterranean.

Madrid, Spain





In Stockholm Station

Station voice echoes
with throbbing pain reverberating inside my head
waiting on another overnight train
(I'd quite rather be dead!)
Bound now to Copenhagen
on the Baltic Sea
9 hours upon ringing rails
is bloody agony!

Stockholm, Sweden




Marriage to Jenny

A year ago you came into my life
brought a little sun along
the shadows became animated
from sedate days of gloom
fresh air through the window
long ago locked in my room
you've given me some truly wonderful stuff
and when we meet I can never get enough
you came here from England,
and I'm here too in a foreign land
Now it's true enough and I just can't wait
September 14th, our wedding date,
the pot of gold long lost now found,
you're my queen and with this band your crown,
in front of TV watching Coronation Street,
the Canadian cold or Canadian heat,
Guinness bitter or a rugger match,
You're the best thing ever that I could catch
No, I can't wait until you're my wife,
From this day on and the rest of my life!

Calgary, AB., Canada


Seasick Sailor

Draped o' er a bollard
I spewed my guts,
The mermaids sang-
I cursed the sluts
The foc'sle and
The quarterdeck
Were covered wi' ice
Leaving not a speck
Of our ship's
Shadowed shape exposed;
The pipes seized up
And the bilge had froze
Again and again
We swarmed the swells
an oblong ball
upon briny hell
I cursed the ship,
I cursed the sky,
I cursed my guts,
I wanted to die-
To cast away
Into the sea;
for no wife had I
nor family
To grieve me
If n' ere I came home
O sick was I
Through flesh and bone
Tombstones stretched
The stone gray waves
Bearing epitaphs
Just as grave:
They bounced and bounced
To make light my state-
O what misery did
Their bouncing make
For a seasick sailor
Such as me
Each lasting moment-
unmeasurable misery!
Yet still was I
Heart and part of crew
"Get on yer feet!
You've a job to do!"
The cox'n bellowed
Bellow to me
I cursed the bastard
And his whole family!
Making for my feet
and up did stand
To look out along,
No ghost of land
Then o'er the gunnel
My guts made a heave
Mind weary, unwell
Head pressed upon sleeve
Then up and about
To take charge of my chores,
Cursing each and every
Bloody whore
That past through my life
Becoming part of me
And forced the choice
of roving the sea
Then passed out
in the hand's mess
Awaking,
Feeling sleepless-
Such is life
When out to sea
and a seasick sailor
such as me!


Halifax, N.S., Canada






The Pensioner

Night found me reposing
with cheeks sunk and sallow
My house in the village
hearthly heat blown by bellow
my stomach a ' grumbling
my back broke and weary
gazing into the embers
my eyes gray and teary

I remember me a young lad
so full of ambition
the world at my feet
travelling on my own volition
got a job in a factory
the pay then came easy
not a care in the world
summer's nights warm and breezy

The bosses they worked you
hard and long hours
no matter the weather,
sunny, snow or soft showers
half of every penny paid me
went back in their pouches
a humble hut was my dwelling
while they lived in luxury's houses

One day the plans
for our union we were makin'
and later that night
our leaders were taken
they beat them so badly
they never recovered
life's harsh realities
for us were soon discovered

A tradesman was I
and could never be prouder
they met us with clubs,
we responded with powder
for spirit we were fighting
for future generations
with justice for all
free of exploitation

The struggle waged on
for decades and more years
made many a widow
and shed many tears
yet there's no situation
that makes my heart sadder
than for those who were crushed
beneath the corporate ladder

Now I'm an old man
alone by my fire
and what to show've I
for all that I'd perspired?
A nation of robbers,
mistrust and sedition
where the union leaders
have become careerist politicians

Calgary, AB., Canada



Green Bottles

The cool Autumn air made
you shutter and shiver
sat on a rock, a bottle of wine
by the river,
your Boudiccan rage to take on the world
speaking of dreams
and how they'd unfurl
all the aspirations and hopes
you so dearly did coddle,
smiling lips, sip soft from
slender green bottle
the rippling water
slowly crept its way by,
the moon moved toward dawn
fading low in the sky
I sat there listening, feeling a bit pissed
drink bringing up memories
of all the chances I'd missed
but I saw stars of hope
shining bright in your eyes,
the belief we could make it,
it would just take a few tries-
I thought gently back to
our sweet wedding night,
the hopes we shared then,
how it would work out all right; I know some how
that all would be fine
kissed you hard on the lips,
the sweet taste of wine.


Calgary, AB., Canada





Steamy

It's interesting how fast a cup of coffee
Can cool when left at
Room temperature, a quarter cup full-
Colder than the air, the shock of the cool
And that sharp taste like licking
Aluminum
A jolt as if the caffeine has
Forced itself tenfold:
It's interesting how a cup of cold
Coffee can compare to a friend, especially
Now that relationships
Co-exist carelessly in a world where
Nearly everyone owns a microwave.


Dartmouth, N.S., Canada




Teachers

As teachers we must remain aware
That, in the ever flowing river of knowledge,
We are guided by the route set by the banks yet influence the current. The
Current shapes the shore & guides the water,
Its tempo, its strength,
Ever aware of flooding knowledge
Leaving pools to evaporate in the sun
Our guide is our purpose,
To provide a habitat of growth,
Remembering that we,
Though builders, are not the architect.


Edmonton, AB., Canada

No comments: