Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Summer


The summer never came this year
This summer I faced my greatest fear
Autumn is now in the air
It arrived too soon
I’ve seen enough
Death and decay
I need to see another way
Obscured joy through endless negativity

Me, you, simple solution
Seems harder fought
Than a revolution
Fighting against the tides
Of an angry sea
Take a breath, the salt air
The humidity
In your hair
Hearts face an eternal scare
That won’t subsist

Time has been our recorder
The ups and downs, tumult, disorder
The struggles we have had to face
Had nothing with us to do
Please just take my hand
Walk with me
along the strand
Beat back the waves,
feet sink in syrupy sand
We wobble, twist, but won’t fall down

I know how dark and cold the days are seeming
I know, in our hearts
That you and I are still dreaming and then
The sun will rise and perhaps
We’ll be blinded by the snow-
lose our way
But we both know the weather’s always changing

One thing leads to another
You’re a lover, you’re a mother
Expectations, so many things can overwhelm
Me too, I get the sensation
My narrative a retaliation of every time I try to turn things
Around and make them right
Leaves have yellowed, crisp and fallen
Laughter so often confused with bawling
Loneliness as we leave the tree
Fall upon the ground
The wind can sweep us both away
Spiral dance and joyful fray
Just have to be where we are today
Pray the rest will come

I know how cold and dark the days are seeming
I know, in our minds
That you and I are still dreaming and then
The sun will rise, perhaps
We’ll be blinded by the beauty
If only we can see through the pain
But we both know the weather’s always changing

The summer never came this year
This summer I faced my greatest fear
Autumn’s brief in this part of the world
It’s arrived too soon
I’ve seen enough
Death and decay
I need to see another way
Long for the bough, the branch, the birds

Come fly away with me
We can be free, eternity
Untethered by the complications
That seem to surround
Believe in me, I’ll believe in you
And hopefully the belief with soak right through
To touch our hearts, silence self-doubt
Then summer may begin








No comments: