Monday, October 23, 2017

When Souls Depart


A woman wands bubbles
Down the Spring Garden Road
An old man plays accordion
With a face like a toad
The Autumn air is warm
For this time of year
As I wander the streets
Of my Halifax dear

A stroll through faded blossoms
That in the Public Garden grow
My thoughts, as sit
At Robbie Burns’ toe,
Are wrapping my noggin
In nostalgia and grief
As I contemplate time,
That fucking old thief

My childhood spent
In this city so fair
My mother lies dying now
Hearts sunk in despair
Her’s can’t keep going
Mine, no more can take
The sun makes of pyre
Sat alone for her wake

The roads which I’ve rambled
And places I’ve seen
Will never rival
This place where I was weened
The flag shows the lion
That resides in my heart
And though I know I must leave soon
Like a soul must depart


Farewell to Nova Scotia
My lamenting refrain
As I know I may not
See this fair land again
Its ocean and valleys
And glacial till
Its water washed beaches
And Atlantic air chill

I am an orphan now,
With no true place my home
But I carry this place
Wherever I roam
Through fields of Heaven
And the hot winds of hell
I shall never forget this city
That I love so well








No comments: