Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Break-up



 Numbed mind
Feels little pain
Vacuum of emptiness
And rejection stings
Like a fish hook in the heart
Brutally ripped free.
The fight has been long; a half a century
Hooked, led, let-down lies
Wooden spoons and spit and abuse
Never good enough for anyone,
Not even myself
Some see beauty, they don’t see the sweatshop floor
Where long hours laboring
Without light; cramped knuckles, bruised from
Beating the walls of such a confined space.
This is where I have been produced and where I am deposited, worthless, every evening-
This has been my life; a product no one wants;
Like all things – disposable
Even my boot finds that single mound of shit
Upon which to tread within a vast field from man’s best friend;
Symbol for my life
Trying to see the beauty;
But everything lets me down;
Too many facts for this to be just self-pity
So why do I continue; persist – carry forward?
Because it’s all I know.
There isn’t a drag deep enough or a bottle with sufficient volume
To make me ok;
Chocking on them as I do platitudes and well-meant messages of:
Hang in there, you’re so great, look at all you have…
….to have…
I have material wealth and moderate health, save the PTSD
But our actions are our only possession;
Relationships and experiences are what truly bring life joy
And that is where my deprivation sits,
Smothering my mindful breaths.
My introvert mind;
Blinded and terror of shallow small talk
I need substance;
A life like a rich novel
Where is the evidence to love one’s self
When no one else seems to? Don’t they see
This brutal contradiction?
So much lip service and inspirational quotes that
Simply affirm your brokenness…
I wish I could adjust healthily to this profoundly sick society; but,
Like Krishnamurti says, that is not a measure of good health.
I don’t care. I want to be stupid and live blindly
Because being awake only leads
To greater disappointment
And unreachable dreams
…can’t afford to dream, can’t afford not to
So for now I just am. Let
The ocean
Take me on its ebb and flow;
Toss me through the current
To either drown or wash up on a distant shore
Well beyond the earth’s curve
Away from all and myself
To crave the peace of the drowning man,
But my body isn’t ready for that quite yet
The cuttings of my remains remain on the floor,
Hoping someone will collect my scraps and transform them into something joyful,
Loved and living;
My scraps are tattered yet rich.
In all things there lies potential;
Stitch me up, tattoo my story with the needle
And, just perhaps, a light will turn on and I
Will see Confucius’ message that
Everything has its beauty, but not everyone see it
It transformed the albatross laden Mariner
In Coleridge’s Rhyme,
But my albatross still weighs heavily on my neck
Dropping like lead into the sea not quite yet
As Life and Death roll the dice
And I remain to tell of this wretched tale.

Edmonton, AB, Canada





No comments: