Friday, October 4, 2019

Efficiency of Flying in a V Formation



The air it seems to fluctuate
Between frigid, crisp and cold
Summer’s lost humidity
The cold seeps from the poles
Another autumn walking here
Feet shuffle through the leaves
It’s part of nature’s carnage
But too beautiful to grieve
Life it has its cycle
And we are merely part
Of a circle that spins, and we hold on

Life seems more a mystery
The closer that you look
Blinded by our arrogance
Because we wrote the book
A tender heart and worlds apart
The geese flock south in V’s
As we age, experience more,
The end, and then we grieve
A motor in a bicycle
Controversy for the day
I just want to ride my bike away

We make commitments
Make our judgment
Fly by our own way
But something heavy in the air
Left me grounded today
I wish like wind and yielding tree
That I could take the strain
Instead I feel a broken bough
In the mud beneath the rain
The birds that flock so high above
Mammals ready for sleep
Oblivious deities we don’t believe
But pray our souls to keep

Post cards, photos, Instagram
The adventures we’ve been through
Why do I look so much older now,
And, hey, why don’t you?
The tribulations of these days,
Built on months and years
There was lots of joy in them, mixed with pain and tears
I long for the return of summer wings
The flowers in their bloom
Dreading winter’s darkness
Weaving patterns lightless on a loom

I can’t offer wisdom
Nor express what I feel
Stuck in between my head,
My heart and my ideals
Reality so perception based
The moment of the day
But propaganda, self-sabotage
Fight to see another way
Seasons and its cycle
Cycle through the snow
Where it ends
I guess we’ll never know
The leaves they yield to frost covered
Snowy tegument
Don’t know where I’m going from where I went
Precious time and solitude
Can be a wondrous, mindful thing
But I long for a flock who’ll carry me when I can’t sing

Edmonton, AB, Canada


No comments: