Friday, October 11, 2019

Nietzsche on the Mountain


The abyss stares harshly
Back at me
Just like Nietzsche said
Tried to climb the mountaintop
Now I cling, slight slip
I’m dead
You pushed me forth
Up to the peak but
Pushed me off the ledge
Crimping on my only hold
Into manikin crack, fingers wedged
The crag is cold
The wind is harsh
The altitude is steep
No matter how hard I try
I don’t understand
The fate I’ve reaped
Rocks crumble
Like my spirit
Awash in cascading scree
The air is thin
I cannot breath
Envious of the trees
That cling to cliff
With little soil
Little nurturing do they enjoy
I should have so much more
In this life – not possessions- but qualitative joy
As I fall into the void
They bend and withstand
Taoist in their nature
Spiny needles are blades to the brutal breezes
That scorch and scour
Cut and gouge raw the resilient rock
These metamorphic walls
My bloodied fingers can set me free; release-
Can’t endure this futility
The falling flight
Would make me free
For a final fatal moment
We love life not because
We are used to living but
Because we are used to loving
Is what Nietzsche said
But I am not a superman
Already I feel dead
“No one can construct
For you
The bridge upon which
Precisely you must cross
The stream of life,
No one
But yourself
Alone” said Fred
Whatever is done for love
Always occurs beyond
Good and evil
But it’s love or “love” that stranded me here
Clinging for what,
I don’t even know anymore
One can promise actions,
But not feelings,
For the latter are involuntary.
He who promises to love forever,
Hate forever or be forever faithful
To someone is promising something
That is not in his power
Thus Nietzsche spake
He went mad, meandering mountain moraine and passage tracks
I feel myself follow in his tread
Stepping in shit, to where I now hang
And cling and cry for reprieve
To be relieved
Of the heaviness flexing my fingers
And pressuring waxy palms
Slipping,
scraped and scabbed
Burned by the glacial reflected sun
This is all too familiar
Too familiar
Too familiar to me.


Edmonton, AB, Canada




No comments: