Thursday, October 31, 2019

Muddling


No one knows the struggles
Behind the progress we display
Insecure and faking it
The masks that hides dismay
To steer a course for brighter shores
The fine path that we blaze
Navigate the unthinkable
Opaque, veiled in haze
Life in a nutshell
Leaves us a little crazed
No one makes it through this life unphased
Remember those years of innocence
Before we ever learned
About control or jealousy?
Before fingers got themselves burned
Nurture trust that eats like rust
Weakening the soul
Accept the things that I can change
Release what I can’t control
The messenger with an allegory
The parables learn and teach
The waves that ebb and ripple the sand
That collects beneath our feet

I saw you and you saw me
But did we ever really know?
Caught and carried by the winding river flow
Destiny and destinations
Real but also perceived fake
Walk on water, wintertime
Summer fall into the lake
I can tread water timelessly
But I would rather swim
Depths and layers, unfathomable
Insecure in your own skin

Abrasions on the elbows
As we climb for higher ground
Try to drink in the beauty that surrounds
I know where I come from
I know now where I’m at
Life is more about the lessons learned
Yet we sit here growing fat
I seek the movement, cradle rock,
That soothes us while we sleep
Lament missed opportunities
Savor the ones we reap
I’ve no clue where I’m headed
And with that, I feel ok,
As long as there is another day
I can see the beauty
Though vision sometimes blurs
Obscured by the vulgar
And reactions of a cur
Try to keep your head above
The waters volume’s flow
Now I know that I’m here
Direct me where to go

The universe is a fickle thing
We’ll never understand
A beach that made up of grains of sand
The rocks erode and crumble
Beneath aquatic flow
I know I’m here, impermanence,
but don’t know where to go

I feel frightened and excited
Simultaneously
Bend, yield like a windswept tree
Roots set solid in the earth
Fixed to where I’m found
Half our life is buried underground
Winter rips the leaves away
Endure a bitter sleep
Await the spring when
The sap begins to creep

Life restored
Stand on solid footing
The land that shapes the shore
Surrounded by a beauty you can’t ignore
Time is so transient
Yet you feel like standing still
Must make momentum and movement
And never lose our will.

Edmonton, AB, Canada




No comments: